Gas pressure effect on lens to affect focus

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayMaechtlen

Industrial
Jun 28, 2001
US
Just food for thought -
Has anyone tested or run the numbers to see how far a lens might deflect under high gas pressure?
And, how far would that deflection move the focus point?

I wonder if that would help explain some of the rules of thumb regarding focus height when cutting various materials.
Seems like most materials that 'want' a low focus are also being cut at high pressure.

Obviously, lens diameter and thickness would affect the focus change at a given pressure.

Regards
Jay

Jay Maechtlen

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unless the gas pressure is a static pressure on the lens, which would require a sealed chamber, there wouldn't be much actual residual pressure on the lens.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!

The lens is at one end of a chamber, the other end has a small orifice - called the cutting nozzle.

When using Nitrogen, you're typically cutting at 2-6 bar, maybe more.
That's the static pressure in that chamber while cutting, and that's what the lens sees.
The other side of the lens is at atmospheric.

Ok, I know some systems use a window to protect the lens - depending on the design the window may or may not seal the pressure and protect the lens from it too?

Jay Maechtlen

Oh, OK, so yes, there could be some distortion of the lens, which could possibly cause a change in focus. Without knowing details about the lens, there's no way of knowing what it's sensitivity to pressure differentials might be.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!

According to my supplier, the lens will deflect under high gas pressure. It should change the focus position by a few microns. The material is quite rigid....

I hope this helps.

If using a high pressure lens, you won't have to worry about focus change due to gas pressure. If there is any change, it will be neglectable. If you don't have a high pressure lens, it could crack under pressure (20 bar).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back