Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gas seperator / scrubber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

elvey

Electrical
Nov 23, 2000
GB
We have a prototype high temp incinerator, the exhaust gas which is urged along, at low pressure, by a vac pump which is way down stream in the cool area. When the gas leaves the incinerator it is at approx 600 deg C. but as it cools down there is a tar like substance that settles out and completely gums up the pipework etc. We are trying a simple home made wet cascade scrubber, but I'm sure this is not the best technique, would have thought the best place to deal with the problem is where the gas is quite hot. I think we are trying to re-invent the wheel, is there a "off the shelf" solution. Any ideas PLEASE ? .

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

elvey, Due to the residuals condensing out in the exhaust duct, you're undoubtedly burning something else than just standard hydrocarbon fuels. BTW, what are you guts doing with scrubber fluid on your homemade scrubber? I take it this gas stream that's being incinerated is proprietary.

There a many manufactures of scrubbers, here is a potential list of suppliers:

Anderson 200, Tri-Mer, Clean Gas systems, Advance Air Technology, GPI Corp., CECo Group, Koch-Glitsch Inc., Wheelabrator.

Hope this helps.

saxon

Saxon. Many thanks for your reply.
Unfortunately I am not a chemical engr. so I am struggling with some of the probs. Our incineration process is dealing with semi dried sewage. The scrubber water is returned to drainage system ( which just cant be right ). Regret I dont know the make up of the exhaust gas, we havent yet had it analysed.
The scrubber mnfrs you quote, I dont recognise the companies, are they US or European?

elvey, As for the manufacturers these are all US Companies. They're listed in the Thomas register, this is short list which was extracted from the Chemical Engineering Buyers Guide. Check with any of them. They will be able to tell what you need and types of analysis they will need in order to design equipment. If they can't help, they will know someone who can.

As for the straight incineration of sewage sludge, this stuff has all sorts of organics in it. Now I understand why you're getting "tar" condensation on the exhaust gas ducts.
Contact the above reps. they will be able to help you out.

Good Luck!

saxon

To incinerate sewage is to burn all waste and this includes products that need high retention times or higher temperatures. I would suggest you have a sample of the condensed discharge analyzed.

Regards

Gord

The condensates are a mixture of 'tars' and the best way to get rid of tars, as Gordonba suggests, is to first know what is contained (at least the major fractions). The answer lies not in the scrubbing, but in the elimination of tars. Higher temperatures and a control on the residence time is the direction I would look at for reducing tar formation or eliminating it almost completely. That is what we do in 'gasification' processes. As for solvents for the tar, try anisole....better still, look up google / tarweb. But I believe incineration may not be the only solution to your problem. Have you measured the particulate emissions yet? - that could be another problem area for you.

Gordonba - you posted something on the 'waste to power' thread......but nothing appeared on the screen. Could you post it again, please? Thanks.
atulbhalla46@hotmail.com

hi, could anyone suggest how to treat biocides ( 2-methyl-4-isothiazolin-3-one is of a particular interest) before they hit bioplant? expected influent concentration is 0.5-1 ppm. i heard something about sodium bisulfite but cannot understand the mechanism. appreciate very much any input.

I'm sure you must be burning some type of plastic waste to great a tar like product. This tar like by product is actually a petroleum product. Why not send your gas through and afterburner system to burn of the tar by product & then on through a high temperature ceramic filter element baghouse.

I'm sure you must be burning some type of plastic waste to great a tar like product. This tar like by product is actually a petroleum product. Why not send your gas through and afterburner system to burn of the tar by product & then on through a high temperature ceramic filter element baghouse.

We have seen this problem before on odour problems with maltings roasters. The tar is caused by a visible fume that cools down.

The existing thermal incinerator fails to get rid of the smell & lets the fume through.

The tar is a problem as it will clog up scrubber, BioFilter & regernative thernal oxidiser beds quickly if not removed.

We suggest that either mist eliminators (low capital, high operating cost) or fluid bed scrubbers (high capital, low operating cost) could be solutions.

Hope this helps.
ctairman
info@cleanteq.com

Elvey,

You stated that you are incinerating semi-dried sewage.

First, what is the moisture content of the sewage?

Second, what fuel are you supplementing the incinerator with?

Third, was the sewage sludge limed up?

It is highly likely that you are gasing off the volatile solids and the volatile solids are not burning to completion. Thus, you are left with a tar-like substance that is a combination of sulfates, particulate matter and unburned sewage. Sort of similar to black liquor in pulp & paper mills.

Your problem can be solved by first predrying the sewage until moisture content is below 5%. Or reduce the feedrate of the sewage sludge.

Keep this in mind - any biomass with a high moisture content requires a much large boiler then bone dry biomass. The moisture must be flashed off prior to ignition of the biomass.

You can reach me at the following email: toddforet@usa.net

Hi elvey
I agree with oxilume . Probably you are evaporating some stuff and condensing it again.

You should use a wet scrubber of the ventury jet type , but u will have to treat the water after it.

mmo

I agree with mmo. Venturi scrubber should be the better option. You may however need to replace your vacuum pump to one which is capable of higher water gauge. If the law governing the air discharge is strict, The venturi should be followed by a wet packed bed air scrubber.

You need to treat the discharge from wet scrubbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back