Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gas Spring Handbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Appl3E14159

Mechanical
Dec 5, 2013
IL
Hello,

I'm working on large steel door design, 4X2 m, with isolation, estimated weight 100kg.
the door will be opened with 2 gas springs and I'm searching for good handbook on this topic.
I want to learn how to choose gas springs and how to connect them to the door ,and to the door frame.

Thanks in advanced.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The design manuals provided by gas spring suppliers will provide information on things like force/travel characteristics of their products. But how are the gas springs used with your door design? Does the door swing open about a vertical hinge axis? Does the door swing open about a horizontal hinge axis? Or does the door simply travel in a vertical/horizontal linear direction?

If the two gas springs are used to both lift this 100kg door and hold it open, there are other safety related factors to consider. For example, would failure of one of the gas springs cause the 100kg steel door to slam closed and possibly injure someone? Gas springs have limitations with regards to durability, since they lose function if there is leakage of the working gas.

If what you require is some type of assist device to allow the door to be opened/closed easily, you might consider some type of mass balance system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back