Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Gas Station Site Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

majbacker

Structural
Jan 8, 2022
US
Does anyone have a good reference to lay out gas pumps for a gas station? Like how far apart pumps should be, what overhang the canopy needs to be around the perimeter etc.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Find a new one that is closed and go and measure it....

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Better questions? Thanks I have already searched Google. Measuring one is a good idea but I don’t want to ruffle anyones feathers. Perhaps I could check one out that is closed.

Go on google earth. Google earth has a scale which you can use to measure the gas station layout.

You can also contact the fabricators of the canopy.

Well each will vary depending on space available but work on some nominal distances.

Assume a standard vehicle size. Say 2m wide by 5m long. Allow space for one car to be filling whilst another is behind it with 1m gap. Allow min 2m between cars to allow people to get out and manouvee. Allow 3m overhang from pump for the canopy to stop you getting wet when you get out.

The thing many seem to get wrong IMHO, is not allowing enough space at the "front" car to stick out as all the filling points are at the back of the car to allow cars from other lanes to get past.

I've seen some which are really squeezed into a small space and others with masses of room so it suggests there isn't a standard. My guess is that the major companies have their own standard design guides.

You need to develop some image search skills, or hire an architect. As they say, "you get what you pay for".

Measure a free 3D cad dwg. No feathers.

uploads_files_104356_gas_station2011.png

Gas%2BStation.png

Thanks for your reply everyone. I am a Licensed engineer with several successful site designs under my belt. Just had never Laid out gas pumps before and wasn’t sure if there were considerations for fire suppression among other things. It does make sense to take a look at existing layouts and I like the Google earth idea. Thank you for your time.

It's often been said that if petrol (gasoline) was "invented" now there's no way untrained members of the public would be allowed to simply drive in and refuel....

There are regulations with respect to remote fuel cut off switches and drainage going via an oil water interceptor, but none in spacing as far as I know.

I saw a petrol station somewhere in Spain that was connected directly to a pipeline. I wish I could remember where it was. That was pretty unique. Complete with little tiny pig receiver.

I'm late in responding, but in Illinois the State Fire Marshall's Office also has a defined setback from the public ROW to the gas pumps. I assume the client has defined the basic of the project for number of pumps, ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back