Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gas-Turbine Exhaust Sampling Products?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRW261

Mechanical
Feb 26, 2004
US
I am currently working on a project that requires the design of a dynamic exhaust emission rake for the testing of a NG power-generating gas-turbine. The exhaust is at a max of 80psia and 2000F.

My first question is dealing with the sampling tube in the exhaust. I was told by someone that they would need to be cooled. However, there are various materails that have max service temps of 2000F and ASME B133.9 doesn't mention any need for a cooled probe except for chilling before the analysis is done on the gas... my question is if there is any other reasons why the probe should be cooled inside the exhaust?

Second, I have been searching for various Gas analyzers and mainly find hand-held units and not what Im looking for. What I want is a stationary all-in-one unit that is capable of measuring NOx,CO,CO2,SO2,H2SO4,HC,NH3,02, and h20. Does anyone know of any companies that might help me, my web searches have not turned out very helpful.

Thanks for the help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi JRW261,

for gas analysers try a company called erwin sick, their website is They have a wide range of gas analyitical equipment ranging from in-situ measurement to extraction measurement.The units are all in one.
On our site we have the mcs100 models (five of them).They've being running for 8 years now and are really reliable.
Sick also provide excellent training on all of their units and they are always at the end of the phone for any technical enquiries.
Hope this helps

Regards

tiffy023

anotehr issue associated with material selection is that some species will reat on the surface of some metals at high temperatures. CO, NO2, formaldehyde come to mind. To acurately measure those, you need to have the sample probe lines with a glass or ceramic that will not cuse teh "contact catalyst " effectof most metals.

The catalitic effect from the sample line is due to most of them being high Ni alloys.
I have seen people using high Cr ferritic stainless for these lines. Sure it gets brittle over time, but these don't see any loading.

Use coolers after you take the sample. Try
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Corrosion never sleeps, but it can be managed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back