Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Gas Turbine Generator Operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

joan271273

Electrical
Sep 26, 2000
US
A client is requiring the "remote" control of a Gas Turbine generator via telemetry. As a matter to gather some tought could someone share:

1.- What will be required for a "remote" operation.
2.- What would be the minimum desired for the operation of a unit of this type. This unit will provide power to grid but only grid blackout conditions.
3.- What are the minimum requirements for a telemetry system.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Suggestions:
1. Clarify Remote since it may be hard wired or wireless.
2. There are industry standards covering telemetry, depending where the project is supposed to be located.

A little more info would help

Define "Remote" Control, is it from a building 100m away, or from 200km away? Does the client want full time condition monitoring and control or "start/stop, on/off" type control? How much "Automatic" operation is desired?

You might want to check out they have various magazines about Diesel and Gas Turbine engines and remote control and monitoring systems for power generation is a frequent topic.

As to the minimums an auto-starting and switching (deferring to utility, with a time delay) with off-site condition monitoring (no data just warning lights, relay driven) for over-temp (turbine and generator), low fuel, and loss of lubrication, (maybe excessive vibration too) and remote disable capability (kill switch) is what I'd look for as minimums, but that would also depend on the size and cost of the GTG and how far away it was.

As far as Hard wired v/s Wireless, that depends on what you and the client want.

As per the above post, check into the national and industry standards for the kind of system you want to install, if I remember correctly, from your previous posts, your in the UK so The NEC we Yanks use probably wont help. :)
-Dan76

Thanks for both responses:

1.- Remote is undetermined it might be within the same small city or even contained in a local utility yard ( i.e distribution substation ).

2.- I am in the US so the I will use the NEC.

3.- Minimum Alarm and Controls desired by Owner.

4.- I do not have telemetry standards so I could use some guidance.Is telemetry a need or can I use the WEB.

Suggestions:
1. Visit
for
1390.2-1999 Standard for Utility Telemetry Service - Telemetry Interface Unit (TIU) to Telephone Network ($80)
1390-1995 IEEE Standard for Utility Telemetry Service Architecture fro Switched Telephone Network ($93)
ISO 13419:1997 Space Data and Information Transfer Systems - Packet Telemetry ($80)
ISO 11754-1994 Space Data and Information Transfer Systems - Telemetry Channel Coding ($22)
etc.
for more info.
2. Fink D.G., Beaty H.W., "Standard Handbook for Electrical Engineers," 14th Edition, McGraw-Hill, 2000
Section 3 "Measurement and Instruments"
Section 16.4 "Power System Communications"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back