Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

gas turbine tripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

I2P

Chemical
Jan 20, 2003
QA
Friends,
We have gas turbine driven compressors of Solars make.Recently we have had problems of ignition failure/explosion sound during ignition step of start up/fuel gas valve fail alarm. Does anybody face this problem frequently with SOLAR make turbines? Any specific solutions to this problem,Thanks in advance
hiren

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

H.BHATT
I THINK THAT YOU SHOULD CHECK THE FUEL VALVE WHICH MUST BE OPENING MOMENTARILY & THEN CLOSING .AFTER SIMULATION FROM C & I CHECK FUEL VALVE OPENING.

Are the burners monitored, what were the temperature trends / spreds? Have the burner tips been inspected for pluggage? (check your fuel filter screens)... what were the conditions prior to the change, did you do a fuel line blowdown?

Maybe I can help you but tell us more. What is the Solar turbine model and series, e.g. Taurus 60 or 70 or Mars 90? The simplest things you can do to see if your have clogged fuel nozzles are if your individual T5 sensor readings are far apart. Are you using gas or liquid or dual fuel? Did someone mess with the purge crank timer and changed it to zero? Purge crank is one of the initial actions of the turbine logic after you push the start button. If fuel valve is leaking internally, it will not pass the self check the logic does when you hit start. Did you check the three start solenoids for leakage, and lastly, did you check if the combustor drain valve has not failed in the closed position (if you use liquid fuel)

If you have an old engine you probably have a Continental valve but new fuel gas Solar turbines use PECC valves. Starting last year, Solar started installing Hi-force PECC valves, a very reliable valve. I have six Solar turbines at my facility

Sorry, I need to put my thinking cap back on. IF you use liquid fuel, you will have Continental Controls valve. I can help you over the phone in tweaking it. Whatever you do, you're better off doing the mechanical adjustments than messing with the fuel schedule on PLC. Even the Solar techs don't like changing values on the fuel start scheduling ramp on PLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back