Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Gaseous fire suppression system for electronics warehouse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scythe13

Mechanical
Jan 3, 2012
I am involved in a project about choosing the best fire suppression system for an electronics warehouse
The warehouse area is 1000 Sq M. and the maximum warehouse height is 7.3 M and it's normally occupied.

Because the electronics devices stored in that warehouse are of high value, the client doesn't want sprinkler system. So I think the only feasible options are gaseous system such as IG55 or FM-200. My question is if you know any similar warehouse or building projects with alike dimensions that has been protected by gaseous fire suppression systems (I want to attach these references to my report)

P.s. Money is not issue in this project.

Many thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How are you going to seal the warehouse ?

Open bay door problem

How much gas will it take??

Per action system sounds better

The only way I know how to reliably and economically protect Group A unexpanded plastics in cartons on racks to 20-0 AFF is automatic sprinkler protection in accordance with NFPA 13. I did note that the building area is only about 10,000 square feet, so technically under the IBC he could get away with the unsprinklered option. But he didn't mention that so it's either lack of due diligence or the design is overseas. If its overseas, I don't really care unless the engineer is wanting to do something like install a clean agent system for protecting a hospital operating suite-which was a very bad idea.

20 ft high rack storage plastics (petroleum in solid form) and gas => ok, good luck with that. If you are in the U.S, and there is a fire, and the fire is not controlled (which it probably wont be) you will be telling your story to a judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back