Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gate Valves and Pigging

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSGWB

Mechanical
Oct 9, 2003
AU
Are all gate valves used in the Petroleum Industry capable of being pigged, particulaler with an intelligent pig?

What should I be looking for to determine if my existing gate valves are suitable for pigging?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

All of the design drawings I've seen over the years show gate valves as full bore design. That is, with the gate fully open nothing protrudes into the flow. There may be some that I haven't seen the drawings on that have a reduced flow area, but I've never heard of them.

One caveat, when people back a valve off the back seat they sometimes get too enthusiastic, and sometimes people get trash on the stem and think the valve is open when it is partially closed. Neither of these problems result in a measurable pressure drop across a gate valve, but they are both really hard on a smart pig.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

your gate valves should be piggable. If tbey are installed stem horizontal that helps to keep the seal clear as refered to by Zdas04. You can get full bore gate valves specifically designed for intelligent pigging with higher tolerences in the machining and a better quality seating arrangement check out Pow-r-seal and dynaseal web page

Pigging is the act of causing a mechanical device (a "pig") to traverse a flow line for the purposes of either shifting liquids trapped in a gas line, cleaning debris from any flow line, or separating products in a liquid line.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back