Not open for further replies.

zsa

Mechanical
Dec 1, 2016
US
E94B6D64-B8A8-4CD6-A8BC-4CA5D77817A9_h5mmzq.png
42BA1F60-B796-4230-AF0A-77759E3D481F_wp5u1z.png

Hi Everyone,

I could really use some help with something that I just came across. I am trying to determine what kind of functional gauge i would need for some parts that we make in my company and I am relatively new to the manufacturing industry but eager to learn(I know there are professionals who offer these services, I just want to learn as a means of understanding the gd&t better and become a better engineer ).

I know that for a tolerance of position of a hole with a ‘regular’ cylindric tolerance zone, the functional gage check would be a pin sized to the virtual condition (hole mmc - position tolerance in diameter). HOWEVER, some of our parts have a non cylindrical tolerance zone for a hole and I wanted to ask how I could have a functional gage check that on my part?( I have attached two screenshots, one of which shows this situation)

The other screenshot is for a non circular cut out and a slotted feature, what would my functional gage look like ( and how will it be sized?)

I would really appreciate some guidance from fellow engineering professionals!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi zsa!

First of all, try to post your question on this subforum -> Link,
otherwise it might not get atention of GD&T experts.

I'm not an expert, but I can assure you that rectangular hole and slot shouldn't be define like that, because it is ambigous.

Just curious, what kind of GD&T system are you working to: ISO or ASME?

edit: OH now I see you are interested in both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back