Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GD&T - Edge-Bonded Gaskets 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnelson33

Mechanical
Mar 7, 2018
US
Hello everyone! It has been a while since posting here, but I need help outside of the ASME Y14.5 book.

First and foremost, ASME Y14.5 R2009 or R2018 is being considered, but R2009 is favored because of the cleaner dimensions (title block tolerances still permissible).

This gasket will be produced overseas, not in the USA.

Attached are some images that show this gasket.
See-Thru-Rubber_ibzwx8.jpg
Gasket_iwv9n8.jpg

We are ordering the entire gasket, so my thinking is to dimension the final part.

However, if the metal gasket substrate is technically critical to the entire part...

So I'm also wondering, "Do I need to dimension the sheet metal substrate to accurately pierce that?"

Again we're purchasing the completed gasket, so that feels dumb overall.

Does anyone have experience dimensioning a part like this?

I'd prefer to add three datums, critical basic dims and apply profile all over, but that seems ridiculous for this type of part (cost is less than $5).

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You will likely have two vendors - one to produce the sheet metal part (we would call it a "core"), who needs a drawing of that alone. The second vendor will be a molding shop, and they likely will subcontract tooling to another sub - they will need both the sheet metal print and CAD files, and the molded form drawing and its CAD files, to create the mold cavity required to produce the finished part. So yes, two drawings, and the mold tooling will have its own drawings as well. You should negotiate to have the mold drawings and the tooling be owned by you, so that you can reproduce and/or move them should the mold shop burn down or go bankrupt, we've had both happen.

3DDave this all in one method sounds like it would work well on simpler gaskets for sure, and if a language barrier wasn't a concern too. That is likely how they check our completed part, but I am going with btrueblood's advice.

btrueblood I appreciate the helpful feedback for sure. We'll send a core and final part drawing as well.

Considering we're making a generic version of an OEM gasket design (so don't judge the weird parting line choice right now), AND ignoring our written requirements on the drawing, do the highlighted getols below convey a completely filled sprue and perimeter?
FKM_TO_CORE_TOLS_ytuq6g.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back