Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GDT PLANES ON LAYERS IN ASM

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutlass442

Mechanical
Jul 8, 2005
US
I am working with large asm. with lots of GDT planes on
parts and assemblies. Many of my co-workers forget to add
theses planes to the proper layers and then turn them off.

So, when I bring up large assemblies they are cluttered with GDT planes in the assembly, sub-assemblies, and parts.

I am forced to open up dozens of files adding planes to layers and then turning off these planes.

Is there any automatic way getting GDT planes to the proper
layer and getting them turned off? I am using Wildfire 2.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In short of manually adding them to layers! Not that I'm aware of. You might want to set up a "Best Practices" for your coworkers.

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 3.1 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NIVIDA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

"There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a nice cup of tea" Bernard-Paul Heroux

The only automatic way is to have the GD&T layer in your start parts or config.proso that new GD&T planes get put there at creation time.

Moving things to layers after they are created is a pain in Pro/E.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."
"Fixed in the next release" should replace "Product First" as the PTC slogan.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

Cutlass442,

I would agree with Heckler that a set of standardized "best practices" would be your best long-term solution. In the meantime, manually transfering the datums to appropriate layers and altering their visibility is probably the avenue you'll need to take.

FYI, this thread: thread554-125377 addresses a similar issue and suggests using model check to automate the process. I haven't tried this yet but it sounds good.

Another possibility would be to define a mapkey which filters for the GDT datums and then assigns them to specific layers, after which you can alter the display and save settings. --This is offered as an idea, and I'll try to verify if it actually is doable. (Has anyone else attempted this?)

Ed Leitkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back