Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GE Fanuc programming software

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtwy

Electrical
Nov 26, 2007
US
In the past few years a client of ours has purchased several packaged skids with the GE Fanuc 90-30 series plcs running the controls. They are wanting us to provide primarily program save/storage and reload corrupted program functions. Also may have a need on rare occasions to modify a program, or add rungs to utilize spare I/O.

I was wondering what might be some good software for the 90-30 either GE or aftermarket etc.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are a couple of options available, you can run an open source system such as GIT or SVN for versioning management, though since most of your files will likely be binary; there are a number of disadvantages to this.

There is at least one commercial multiple vendor source management system, though I cannot remember what its called at the moment. If I remember it I'll post it up here. (I've done a half dozen searches already, its not coming up).

We'd only looked at the commercial option briefly, then went to SVN as its open source and we had a lot less issues justifying purchase cost on this basis. Any diffing or compare functions are still done via the native PLC software, as SVN diff doesn't support our binaries.

Someone elsewhere mentioned that GIT has an advantage in that every repository is a full local copy, whereas for updates SVN needs a remote server. We (attempt) to manage this by trying to ensure that releases are done before people head to site, but it doesn't always happen.

I don't have any experience with GE explicitly though, all our gear is either Omron or AB.

Found it: MDT Autosave.

Never used it, no idea what its like, but it appears to support much more in the way of binary files than the open source systems do. At least worth a look, there aren't many out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back