Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gear analysis and other nontrivial modeling with NX Nastran/Femap

Status
Not open for further replies.

automechanicar

Mechanical
Nov 28, 2007
NL
Hi,

Does somebody know how to perform a contact analysis between two gears, where the one gear drives the other one, thus both rotating with a certain rotation speed? Both gears are flexible so it should be possible to recover the stresses and displacements in the gears (including in the contact region).

How is this type of analysis set up? What type of contact should be used, what kind of boundary conditions (prescription of either torque, rotational speed or else), what type of analysis ((nonlinear) static or (nonlinear)transient).

I am aware that various licenses are necessary for modeling of nonlinear transient behaviour including contact. Can you please sum up the Nastran modules needed?

I am also curios about modeling of rubber parts in contact. Probably not the most simple analysis you can think of as various sources of nonlinearity are involved; geometrical nonlinearity as rubber components are usually subjected to large displacements, rubber being a nonlinear material itself and of course the nonlinearilty due to contacts. As a reference example you may think of a rubber O-ring being squeezed between two plates, where both plates are modelled as flexible bodies and contact between the plates and the O-ring. This particular example may be modeled in varoius ways, for example making use of the axisymmetrix conditions or even plane strain coditions, where the circumeference of the O-ring is used as the thickness in the plane strain model. However, I am particularly interested in the 3D analysis.

Does anyone have experinece with this type simulation or are there any examples and tutorial adressing these types of problems.

Many thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back