Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

gear box advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

holo

Electrical
Jul 3, 2006
US
I have been asked to find a 1:15 gearbox that can step up the rotation of a 10 KW / ~120 rpm input shaft with an output of a 10 KW / ~1750 rpm 4 pole generator. It's for a small wind turbine.

I have found 15:1 helical and double helical gear reduction units. Can the input/output be changed?
I'm out of my league here. Any help will be most appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, they initially can be changed. I say "initially" because it is not really true. If the gearing is working from the output shaft to the input shaft, the engagement is not going to be really the same (i.e. the contact in the wheel is going to be done from feet to head instead of head to feet). It is not easy to predict what it is going to happen with the endurance and the noise. Normally, the endurance is going to be lower (it could decrease very much) and the noise, normally, is not going to change very much, but it is going to change and to be different. The best way is asking to the manufacturer, he is the only person who can give you the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back