Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Gear shaper 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vminassian

Mechanical
Jul 13, 2006
US
Hello. everyone.. i stumbled onto this website after weeks of searching and calling around to try to find help with a gear shaper at work.. Im a 21 year old junior studen and CNC programmer.. finishing up my mechinical engineering degree at Csun in southern california.. working on a wolf or Tianjin No.1 Machine Tool Works gear shaper.. same model but diffrent distrubitors.. the model is a YM5150A PRECISION GEAR SHAPER.. the manual is useless as it is missing alot of info.. like the old fellows machine.. guess it is a lost art.. even the manufacturer can give me any info on anyone in the states looking to setup and run the machine.. have been working with the machine the past few weeks getting the hydralics working and all figuring out the gears it needs to run.. We manufacute harley primary belt drives and currently send machined pulleys out for cutting.. but want to do it inhouse.. if anyone has any info on setting up the machine or knows of anyone who can do it. let me know.. there will be a lump sum of money that is up for grabs is any progess can be made..

thanks.
Vic

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you tried calling or emailing the company
in China?

Add:146 ,Jintang Road Hedong District, Tianjin, China. | Tel:86-22-24390723 / 86-22-24932536| Fax:86-22-24390644
E-mail:sales@tmtw.com| Post Code:300180

This looks like a fairly modern machine from
the pictorial description.

tried that along time ago.. trust me..i talked to the company in china and they refered me to the company who we bought the machine from..the company is out of buisness and gone..only 10 machines from what i know exist in the united states..we purchased one of two machines left before the company went out of buisness in a auction..and the company in china knows of no one in the united states who runs or owns the machine.. they just refer me to the company..Basic machine tools.. located in california which is now gone...

Try posting your message on this site: Alot of gear machine operators frequent the site.

I've only ever used Fellows gearshapers but I would have thought that the underlying principles of operation for all gearshapers is pretty much the same.

If my experience with Fellows machines can in any way help you with the Chinese machine I can let you know how to get in touch with me.

Hey thanks Gearcutter for you repley.. every time a get a repley i get a hope of somehow figuring out this machine.. The machine has transmission change gears that consist of four gears in which two have a fixed center distance. there are two gears for the radial feed.. and two gears for the rotary feed. and the machine has a dog mechanisim with three dogs that hit limit switches to control the radial infeed untill the finial depth is reached..The manual that it comes with is useless and the translation is horrible and very hard to figure out.. and thankyou for you repley...much appreciated.

I’ve just done a quick search. Try contacting these guys, they have one of your shapers in their equipment list.

Atlas Gear Company
Contact Information
Atlas Gear Company
32801 Edward
Madison Heights, MI 48071

Phone: 248-583-3000      
Fax: 248-583-3433

Hey thanks for the info gearcutter.. will give them a call 2morrow and see if i can get any help..Hopefully they are willing to help.. most people of company i call for any help are very blunt and unwilling to help.. the most feedback i have gotten has been off this website..Went ahead and posted on meshing with gears so will see what happens..This might get a bit long but see if u can help out... I have got most of it figued out.. atleast i hope.. the index gears which control rotation of table.. i have figured out with the formula Zc/Zw= A/B * C/D.. Zc is the teeth number of cutter.. and Zw is the teeth of workpiece. in out case we are cutting a 45 tooth pulley with a 40 tooth cutter.so Zc/Zw=40/45..=.888888. so i got the combo of the four gears 72/72 * 48/54.. the radial feed is the depth feed of the table.. i have this set as slow as possible as this cannot hurt anything but runtime.. the only other thing i got left is the rotary feed.. which controls rotation of cutter..the book only gives a few lines about the rotary feed.here it is exactly out of the book.. if u or anyone can make sense of it..

"the torary feed is denoted by the arc lenght on the pitch circle the cutter is rotated in each stroke.The formula is one revolution of the crankshaft the shaping cutter rotates S/(3.14159* Dc). E is the driving gear..F is the driven gear. sum of teeth Ze+Zf = 136. and Sk=E/F" thats all the info i got.. we are cutting a 45 tooth pulley with a 40 tooth cutter with a 4.00"pitch diameter.. pulley combos are only in odd numbers starting at 26/110 to 74/62..

please let me know if this sounds fimilar to the fellows machine... thanks

Vic.

For a Fellows 36 the set up for the indexing train is: Zw / Zc x 1 / 2 = A / B x C / D x E / F where Zw is the number of teeth in the job, Zc is the number of teeth in the cutter, A,B,C,D are the variable centers gear sets and E,F are the fixed center set giving 1 / 2 or 1 / 1 or 2 / 1.
For a Fellows 6A the set up for the indexing train is: Zw / Zc x 3 / 5 = E / F x A / B x C / D where letters designated are the same as for the set up above.
As you can see, you need to figure out what what the second part of the left hand side of the equation is for your machine as each machine will usually be different.
I would ask "asong" for help as well. He is in the gearcutting industry in China and would most probably be able to use his contacts in the industry there.

Hey.. asong.. i was wondering if you knew anyone that knows about the machine or how to set up the rotary feed change gears for the machine..would think you might have access as there should be mahcines in china..This would be a great help.. we are cutting a 45 gear pulley with a 40 tooth cutter that has a 4.00" pitch diameter.. if you can in anyway help.. please let me know..

Asong... Thanks for you intrest... i got the machine preety much figured out... found out the way to figure out what gears to use for the rotary feed...got the index gears figured out also..Dont think there is need for you to call them.. thanks for the reply appreciate it.. all i have left to do is indicate the fixture and make a few small finial adjustments.. if there is anything thing else i need help on i will let you know.. Thanks..
Vic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back