Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gear speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

R1100S

Mechanical
Aug 18, 2004
US
Hello, I am looking for a reference as to how fast I can spin helical gears based on their size. The only info I have found is a statement in my Mechanic Design Handbook that says if the Pitch Line Velocity goes above 2000 ft./min., cooling should be considered. Any good sources of on this, or at least rules of thumb?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi R1100S:
I guess it is good to look for some AGMA Standards. There are so many consideration issues; so, what type of application will you be doing and what speed are you seeking I think finding aswers to these questions might help you more.

Regards

I think that is, at least partly, a heat generation (due to oil shear/churning) limit, not a structural limit. In the past few years I witnessed/endured some painful situations resulting from real low estimates of heat generation by pretty big name gearbox suppliers houses. Some kind of minimal lubrication system (like air-oil as used in high speed ball and roller bearings) seems to be the answer. I think I read The Nascar guys have moved to controlled lube for trans and rear axles partly for heat (thus power) reasons.

Whatcha making?

A couple of AGMA standards that might be useful:
917-B97 Design Manual for Parallel Shaft Fine-Pitch Gearing

2001-C95 Fundamental Rating Factors and Calculation Methods for Involute Spur and Helical Gear Teeth

2000-2500 ft./min has always been a good rule of thumb for splash systems. Actual testing above 2500 is highly recommended. The major problem with speeds above 2500 ft./min is the speed of the gears will cut a channel in the oil bath generating excess heat caused by lack of lubrication and cooling.

gary@gearmfg.com

Thanks for the replies. It looks like I am going to go with smaller gears, running below 2000 ft/min. They are to run the balance shafts on a large single cylinder engine. I've got plenty of engine oil flowing, so lubrication and cooling should not be a problem.

Thanks for the advice Carburize, but since I already have engine oil circulating, I don't want the added complexity of another lube circut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back