Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

gen set exiter/field regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

videoeng1

Electrical
Nov 15, 2002
US
I have an American Marc/Kato gen set with a bad exiter/regulator. Unit is 35 years old, looking to replace it with solid state circuitry. Does anyone have generic schematics for this? Field voltage needed is 50-70 volts DC at approx. 5A to generate 120/208 3 phase. Static field resistance is approx. 10 ohms. I'm not sure what the min. exitation voltage is, but unit has 24 volt battery. I can adapt any usefull designs to work, just need a head start.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Chris

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks busbar and jbartos for the info. I found a AVR at Basler that will work, but it is very expensive considering the gen set it would be used for. kato had some old design specs, there AVR was also out of my range at $700. A bit much for my old 12kva gen set. I am hoping to build something myself, I have a ton of spare boards and parts lying around. Some exact figures from Kato: No load field voltage for 208v= 29.5V@2.35A Full load 208V@33A= 62.5V@4.95A field. Exact field resistance is 10.18 ohms. Each phase winding is 0.410 ohms @ 27 deg. C ambient.

If you don't need an automatic regulator (steady load?), then any adjustable DC power supply that can give you 4.95A at 65V can be used (this can be as simple as a rheostat + transformer + full wave rectifier). Adjust manually for the desired generator AC output voltage.
To create an automatic regulator, start with a design for a variable DC power supply and add a feedback loop to compare generator actual AC output voltage to setpoint. The info available at Basler should point you in the right direction.

BTW, did you look at the Basler AVC series regulator? Not sure of the pricing, but this range should be economical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back