Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

General Boiler Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

wzal

Mechanical
Mar 18, 2004
US
Hi,

I am new to the commercial and industrial heating business in North America and have some questions.

Is boiler using coal very popular in North America? Or is oil or natural more popular?
I am reading a book about stationary engineer and the book says stationary engineers have to look at the water gauge every 8 minutes to make sure there is enough water in the boiler. I am a littler suprised at why it can't be done by a liquid level switch or something.
How is the situation in the real world?

I hope someone in the business can give me some idea.

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Coal is seldom used due to enviromental "doogooders" belliacking about sulfur and particulate emissions.
Power steam boilers are fitted with two low water cutoff devices and these are connected to an audible alarm as required by Insurance and State regulations. In the event of low water condition, operator is to shut down unit immediatelty and let itr cool down on its own. Operator must not introduce cold water otherwise if tubes and drums were overheated they will deform from steam pressure and sagg from their own weight and putting in cold water will set tubes and drums in the deformed position with no chance of them returning to their normal conditions had they been left alone to cool down by themselves.
To become a stationary engineer you must pass examinations administered by the jurisdiction which would be one of the States(Boiler and Pressure Vessel Board) in which you would take the exams.To become a National Board Boiler and Pressure Vessel inspector you must take a two examiniation administered by National Board of Boilers and Pressure Vessels and a day exam by one of the States in which you want to become certified. Not all the States will require to take an exam but such state would require that you pass the two day N.B. exam.

It depends on the size of the boiler. For large central station power plants, 55% of alleelctiricity in the USA is via coal. For small units (commerical and industrial) and near cities, one would use natural gas. Oil would be used outside of cities assuming an air permit allows or if ther is no natural gas pipeline . If tehboiler is medium size and near a port, one could use heavy oil due to ist cost advantage.

Yes, boilers have automatic level control , but if it is not operating correctly , you could melt down the furnace in less than a minute if one had a lo-lo water event .

you need to get a new book. it sounds like the one you are using is not current with the industry.

network controls such as Bailey and ABB have moved the stationary engineer into the 21st century.

I suspect you've probably got a 1948 vintage Woodruff & Lammers book. I've used to read those.

I've been doing this for over 30 years, and I've yet to come across ANY boilers without automatic level control, low water cutouts, high and low level switches and the like.

If it happens that you are operating a boiler without these, I'd try to get re-assigned to some other location. Maybe another area code. Eight minutes is plenty of time to get into serious trouble.

Yeah...coals popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back