Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

General Calculation for Welding CS Piping

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepsteelblue

Mechanical
Jul 8, 2020
US
I'm looking to measure the shop against an industry standard for the time in take in mhs to fabricate various runs of piping that will be assembled on a skid. Is there any general calculation that will help me in doing this? I've looked at welding calculators online but they are very specific on some of the parameters required and all I need for example is just the mhs it takes to weld up 10' of 1.5", XH,CS, ASTM A106-B Smls piping, with a few tees, valves, and flanges. If I had the weld inch total, I could just take that and times my mh rate, assuming a welder could bang out 80"- 100"/day, but the calculation I see for coming up with weld inch totals is different on different sites and I know it is dependent on wall thickness and the # of passes required. I appreciate it

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Whats mhs? Minutes hours seconds?

There's no industry Im aware of, however I havent really looked into that previously. We have created our own spreadsheet for calculating prefab piping for skid mounting/assembly. One 'standard' we found didnt fit our scope of work, as we dont fall in the typical scope (Im talking DACE's cost engineering here, a Dutch initiative).

Huub

Welding time for piping assembled onto a skid ???

I am afraid that no standard amount of time per weld inch will be available to you

Furthermore, more time is probably involved in piping and valve fit-up for a skid than a more customary job IMHO

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Our shop takt time pace is 14" of weld per hour. I have no clue where that compares to any industry standard, but that's our pace. This includes prepping the bevel, setup in a fixture or rotary table, tack weld fitting, 2-pass groove welding the pipe, and an inspection. We're building 2-12" piping skids, SA53 or A106 standard wall (sch 40), with no preheat or PWHT included in the time. Root pass is TIG, cap pass is either TIG or MIG depending, we have WPS for both. We calculate circumference of the pipe, x number of welds, x2 passes, divided by 14" to get a rough number of welding hours for budgeting. This doesn't include other pipe fitting, threaded work, assembly, placing other components, etc, just the welding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back