Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

General considerations of seismic model

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pawel27

Structural
Nov 18, 2008
PL
Hello everobydoy,

I would like to ask for general approach to structure supported by columns (see attachment). I want to do simple static analysis by using known acceleration at different levels. For sure action at column base must be also considered. How to include ground motion in such model? I have shear base calculated. Can I use this shear base proportional to structure stifeness at different structure levels? Is it shear base adequate to ground motion? Or another approach should be used?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Pawel27,

It would benefit the readers of your query if you would cite the method you used for calculating the base shear. Generally, each method used for estimating the static base shear has been adopted based on tremendous amount of earthquake research but due to factors that are not yet truly understood, limitations are set on these methods. Which in turn, brings us, engineers, to use actual earthquake records to excite a structure and design them accordingly (Of course, still with guidance from the local code).

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back