Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

General Plating Costs

Status
Not open for further replies.

MfgEngineerCACE

Industrial
Jul 11, 2006
US
Is there anyone that could provide some insight on how to estimate nickel, zinc-nickel and zinc-chromate plating costs?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Quotes are usually the easiest. We've tried, but with limitations being lot sizes, method of plating (barrel, rack, etc.), cleanliness spec on the parts prior to coating, etc., it ended up being more accurate to have 2-3 suppliers quote the parts rather than take a shot in the dark and be off by a mile.

I would agree with tripleZ. My experience has been that quotes can vary widely between suppliers. You might have one that does the process you want as its "main line" and another does that process as a sideline. Quality can vary quite widely as well (surface prep and finish prior to plate is important). If that is considered important to your requirements, I would recommend visiting a potential supplier to see what process and quality controls they have in place.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back