Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

General Thoughts on Smart Grid: Related to Distribution Planning

Status
Not open for further replies.

snerts50

Electrical
Mar 5, 2012
US
As part of a graduate class, our professor asks us to write mini research papers on different topics, one such is Smart Grid. He also asked us to reach out to the global engineering community and post in a forum to see what people, other professionals, thought about smart grid.

So here I am.

Any general thoughts, or opinions on the rise of smart grid, its impacts, whether its worthwhile etc. I realize this is fairly broad, but the papers themselves are only snapshots of different topics, so any opinions would be fine.

Is anyone out there currently involved in smart grid projects?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First, define "Smart Grid". For something so widely used it has no real definition. It seems that anything that applies microprocessors to the power system can get lumped into "smart grid". We started replacing electromechanical relays with "smart" relays 20+ years ago, but nobody was talking about smart grid then. Smart Grid is just a buzz word (buzz phrase?) coined by outsiders wanting to get a piece of the action.

David,

Thanks for the response. I realize that it's fairly broad and vague and this is how it was presented to us, so I suppose it's up to me to take it where I feel it should go, as the student.

As a whole, I think it might be captured as a system wide communication pathway, where devices talk to one another automatically, and choices are made to maintain the reliability and safety of the grid. In this application, I think the smart grid I am referring to is any modernization to a typical electrical grid for the purposes of (but not limited to): smart metering with real time data capture for possible demand side response and possible load control (shutting down large loads during peak periods) etc. These would need to be smart devices capable of communicating with the grid to turn on and off. More automated control of the grid, switching responding to fault to keep the lights on, etc. The inclusion of electric cars and battery storage (or any distributed generator).

I am by no means an expert on this area, so am just tossing things out there.

Are you proposing machines replace humans, and deciding who has power and who dosen't?

Question: Is smart grid less cost, or more reliable then the old methods?

If controlling consumers appliances is such a great saver of energy, then why aren't consumers signing up for free?

Just an FYI, now that 100W light bulbs are illegal, I am seeing lower prices on 90W light bulbs. So we saved the world 10W at a time.

I'm personally ignoring all references to smart grid until I can read the standard (IEEE? ISO? IEC? NERC? Whoever?) that defines it. I have been presented with a temperature sensor that has a 4-20 mA output for a range of 0F to 100F, and no data communication whatsoever. The data sheet listed "Smart Grid Ready" as a feature.

Again, until there's an accepted definition it's a marketing bonanza and nothing more. It's in the same category as "Green."

Best to you,

Goober Dave

Haven't see the forum policies? Do so now: Forum Policies

Interesting thoughts. Seems like the community is somewhat apprehensive about smart grid and are waiting for some actual standards to come out with proper definitions etc. I believe IEEE is working on something now.

In general, I think smart grid is meant to reduce peak loads, increase reliability and incorporate different means of power storage and distributed generation, etc. I don't think it is meant to replace humans, simply react faster than humans, or maybe replace some of their actions. I found a simply definition that states smart grid is meant to create a constant communication pathway across the grid for a cheap and reliable way to operate. It touched on the same specifics I mentioned above to achieve this.

It's also a good point. Is smart grid out to solve existing problems that no one has fixed yet? Or simply to increase an already fairly reliable grid (depending on where you are). Is this simply a pipe dream with all sorts of fancy gadgets that you don't really need? And are so expensive that they don't make any sense?

That other thread holds a great deal of useful information. Thanks!

Are there any utility folks out there with smart grid pilots or programs?

I saw another project where the smart meter data will be accessible to customer's on their smart phones for real time awareness of their power consumption, in the hope that they change their habits. That's fairly interesting, but is the cost vs possible reduction in load enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back