Status
Not open for further replies.

jg79838

Civil/Environmental
May 13, 2003
US
Windows XP
Autocad 2002 - No Modules, add-ins, etc

I have 3 sets of data each consisting of approximately 1400 3d (x,y,z) points. I've loaded the data using a script file and the command "point x,y,z". The 1400+ points represent the surface of a 20-5 ft tall wall. Is there a way to generate a surface (-can't use 3dsurf or similar because points are in no particular order) for ea set and more important compare one set to another to determine if movement has occured?

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

3DFIELD is a shareware on This might do what your looking for. Simple download and very user friendly.
Here is the description:
Description:3DField is a contouring surface plotting program that quickly converts your data into contour maps and surface plots. From its neat, attractive interface, 3Dfield does the following: Interpolates X, Y, Z data points onto a grid (orthogonal or within an arbitrary border); Displays data points on a plane; Graphically displays 2D/3D data arrays; Builds color and black/white isoline (contour) maps; Creates maps of any size compatible with Microsoft Office; Imports and exports polylines; and finally, outputs maps to emf, wmf, bmp, jpg, png file formats. The map list, which can be shown always-on-top in tree view on the left, allows you to easily switch back and forth between Color Isolines, Locate Points, Simple Isolines, Color Cells, Circle Values and Delauney Triangles. The program also provides a zoom navigator that lets you magnify specific areas of maps. The easy-to-use and well-put-together 3DField comes complete with a comprehensive, click-through Help file in HTML format.
Hope it helps!

If you're feelin' lucky, and the points are in the proper order in the file... you can re-write your script to use the 3DMESH. You have to know the number of ROWS (M), and the number of COLUMNS (N) that are defined by the mesh.

Thanks for the tips. I'm trying out 3DField. Is there a way I can export the coordinates in some logical order from AutoCad so I can throw them back in there using 3DMesh and hopefully even calculate the variance?

I'd dump the original file you used in your POINT mathod into EXCEL.

Then break the columns into X, Y, & Z columns and DATA->SORT the whole thing on first the X col, then Y then Z.

The X and Y columns will be your cols and rows for the 3DMESH.

Examine the Y col, looking for breaks in the sequence and a return back to a similar X coord. and that'll be your row break. Once you've figured out the row break you can "see" the mesh rows (M) and cols (N).

USe SAVEAS CSV from excel to get the comma delimited format and re-build the script.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Or if you already have the points inserted in the drawing you can count the rows and cols there. Then "cook" the text file to match and re-build the script.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Or if you have the points in the drawing and have counted the rows and cols, set your OSNAP to NODE and build the sucker by hand. ee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back