Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Generator Actual Current Rating

Status
Not open for further replies.

hash80

Electrical
Jan 7, 2010
PK
It seems basics but its confusing me:

The nameplate current rating of a genset is the current load on each phase or each phase x 3 or its In.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If current is 3200A then it means each phase will be having 3200A.

Simply speaking keep my below description as a thumb rule.

For Power-

3000kW of three phase load means 1000kW (Phase L1)+ 1000kW (Phase L2) and 1000kW (Phase L3)

For Current

3200A Three Phase means 5094A in L1, 5094A in L2 and 5094A in L3

Please check the attached file for quick reference.

If any confusion please intimate.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=6631086b-0fdf-4b2c-90d8-9ad71c980f5b&file=Current_3_Phase.xls
For line

"3200A Three Phase means 5094A in L1, 5094A in L2 and 5094A in L3"

Please read

5094A Three Phase means 5094A in L1, 5094A in L2 and 5094A in L3

Sorry I typed wrong 3200A in that in place of 5094A.

No you cannot average them.

It load in one phase is 3000A and in other two 0A, then it doesn't mean that current in all phases equals to 1000A.

Never do that.

Simply get the currents based upon the loads that are connected to their phases.

My So 'In' is the total running load measured on one phase or altogether on all phases (their summation)? What actually 'In' is? Also we see on MCCBs

"In" usually means the rated nominal current or the sensor size.

I would recommend you read instruction and operating manuals of the breakers and their trip units in question. Especially if the breaker has an adjustable electronic trip unit. You need to differentiate between sensor rating, plug rating and Long time pick up settings and where do they apply.

Rafiq Bulsara

I've never seen In on a generator nameplate, but I haven't seen everything yet. I would assume In to mean Neutral current. It may be an indication of the maximum unbalance that the generator may accept without excessive rotor heating. I would be more comfortable seeing the whole nameplate. Seeing everything in context helps to understand unexpected ratings.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

You may be correct Rafiq. He may be looking at the generator breaker when he sees In.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Infact my Energy Analyser is showing 'In' also. Actually I wanted to know what this 'In' is keeping in view IndianTechEngg1001's posts?

Manual does not tell anything about 'In'. It seems its something all together all phases current. I would like to know what this 'In' is afterall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back