Generator Coolers

Status
Not open for further replies.

majuba

Electrical
Mar 6, 2003
ZA
Good day

After an inspection of our 660 MW generators, it was found that the rubber supports for the cooling fins are coming loose. These enter the gen air gap and I have found fraying rubber between the casing and inner frame. I am concerned about the risk these rubbers pose both mechanically and electrically. The machine is hydrogen cooled and the stator windings are water cooled.

Essentially, can someone please advise the risk that such a defective cooler provides?

Thank you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The rubbers should not concern you too much electrically however they can cause thermal problems if the should work there way into the ventillation ducts by inhibiting the flow of hydrogen around the machine.

Also, the cooler tubes/fins may see more vibration and cracks could occur in the water circuit. It sounds like the machine is currently stripped for maintenance I would get the coolers fixed as soon as possible.

Motorspert

Yes. I have spoken to the manufacturer, who also pointed out the clogging of the vents. There are no leaks or cracks yet. This has been confirmed by inspection and pressure tests.

What are the effects/risks of thermal problems? (mechanical and electrical)

I will try to get some photos

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back