Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Generator Remote Start Signal Wiring - Class 1 Remote Control Circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

djr3203

Electrical
Aug 3, 2011
US
Are the conductors for a 2-wire start signal for a generator considered a Class 1 remote control circuit per NEC?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That would depend on the voltage and current in the remote start circuit.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

I am not sure the voltage and current of the remote start circuit as this is for a temporary generator connection at a hospital that is only brought on site temporarily from time to time. The existing installation has the 2#14 generator start with the 3phase,4Wire, 480V feeder from a tap box within the electrical room to a tap box on the exterior wall. The connection from the temp generator to the tap box on the exterior is free air when they bring the temp gen. The connection to the system is free air from the existing ATS to the tap box in the electrical room when they need to bring in the generator. We had to relocate the tap box on the exterior, so we are running a new conduit with the feeder and gen start to where the tap box is being relocated. Combining of the gen start conductors with the gen power conductors is being questioned. This condition is existing and has been functionally working for many years, so I don't see the need to separate the conductors now. NEC 725 allows combining power and Class 1 if it is functionally related, which is the article I believe allows running the start signal with the power feeders. Even if the start signal is a class 2, couldn't this be ran as a class 1 wiring method with the generator feeder and be considered code compliant having them both in the same raceway?

I appreciate the insight.

I would use conductors insulated for the highest voltage present in the raceway.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back