Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Generator tank corrosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zane Miller

Petroleum
Dec 19, 2021
US
I see that Harris County, Texas is contemplating the install of Inert gas blanketing to monitor moisture and control corrosion in critical use diesel fuel tanks. While I see no diesel storage tank ullage inert gas blanket requirements I wonder if a purge and or blanket of inert gas (Nitrogen)will be effective. System specifics to follow.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How does "Inert gas blanketing to monitor moisture" work ? ... This all seems very strange to me ..

I know that TEXAS is a strange place (I used to live there) but is there been a good record for N2 blanketing of these tanks in other parts of the country ?

I thought that the best methodology to ensure that these generator fuel systems will function as designed was to

1) --- Periodically run the diesel generator units (monthly ??)
2) --- Only use fuel tanks with a proper internal coating designed for diesel
3) --- Use diesel fuel additives developed SPECIFICALLY for this purpose and keep records !
4) --- Inspect the structure of these tanks periodically in accordance with State and Federal laws

Inert gas blanketing was never meant as a long term corrosion preventative, as best as I can remember...

Is this something that Governor Greg Abbott and his gang of crazies is requiring ?

More information please .... Who, in Harris country is making these demands ???

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

I understand the purge of inert gas is moisture monitored at the vent. Nitrogen monitoring flow increased or reduced accordingly. Equilibrium disturbed at fuel surface/ullage interface allows moisture to transfer so the theory gos.

Diesel often contains residual water, and some times the water is salt laden. Check that supply diesel coalescers are working properly, change the elements when separation eff drops off. A corrosion resistant lining that doesnt swell on long long term contact with diesel will help. Inert gas blanketing wont get you anywhere. Talk to the military who would have experience with mission critical supply jet fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back