Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Geofoam: Use of GeoFoam below shallow foundations

Status
Not open for further replies.

michele

Petroleum
Sep 15, 2000
US
HI.
do somebody knows about the use of Geofoam as structural lightweight fill below foundations? Any case hystories of Geofoam below bridge foundations? I was thinking to use it below the foundations of a bridge (small) strcuture to replace some soft soils.

Thank you for your help.

p.s. I already checked the Dow website (for the Styrofoam) and the Geofoam Reserach Institute at Syracuse University

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you need for insulative capacity or just need a lighweight fill material with enough density/rigidity to bridge poor soil conditions?

You might want to look at one of the pourable lightweight fills such as Elastizell (which you can use in conjunction with plastic foams to stabilize the foam placement).

It is my understanding that geofoam is a relatively compressible material. As such, I do not know that it would be advisable to place it below foundations. The applications where I have heard of it used were in the embankments for bridges. The abutments were supported on piling.

Geofoam or Foam Concrete has been used as a structural lightweight fill for foundations and highway projects. Typically you would specify a compressive strength, unit weight, shear strength of the material required to support the estimated loads. If you are talking about soft soils, these would have a typical bearing capacity of about 20 to 40 psi. Typical strengths for lightweight foam concrete range from 20 to 100 psi or more. Lightweight foam concrete has also been used to replace conventional backfill materials for foundations, MSE walls, etc. and to reduce loading (downdrag) on existing structures. I would be happy to discuss your project with you in more detail and can be contacted at rjakiel@kersur.net if you are interested.

Yes I know about using EPS or Geofoam for lightweight fill for foundations. There are specific application guidelines that need to be followed. We have placed the EPS below bridge foundations with great results. This information requires more discussion than can be acomplished in this forum. If you would like to contact me I can be reached at cookmg@aes-advengsol.com. We are a design company that specializes in EPS design. We have done many projects all over the country in a variety of applications.

Only problem with both Dr. Horvath (Manhattan) and Dr. Negussey (Syracus) is they really do not give any information about really designing with EPS. They are a great resource about the research on the product but not the design of projects with the product.

Has anyone try casting a complete terrace house using 1000 density lightweight foan concrete.?. I am going to try but need advice on the best way, I understand that there may be bleeding. Alex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back