Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

geogrid in soil using Abaqus 6.13

Status
Not open for further replies.

EcWcW89

Civil/Environmental
Sep 5, 2015
IT
Hi everyone, i am new ! i need to model a pullout test of a geogrid embedded in a sandy soil. i am worried about the interaction to set.
i red in literature to give two times contact pair to simulate the interaction between ggr-soil (ggr face down-up face of soil under and ggr face up- down face soil above) using a penalty interactoin (μ=0.4). how can i set the soil-to-soil contact ? i could use constraint, tie but am am not complety sure on the way i am walking... i use 3D stress element for the soil and membrane elements for the ggr both with linear elastic behaviour.
Thank for your help ! [bowright]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

I'm not sure of the details of interface elements in Abaqus, but I have modeled the pullout of geogrids using Plaxis.

In plaxis the geogrid is modeled as a continuous element (i.e. doesn't model the gaps between the grids), so there is an geogrid/soil interface above and below the geogrid. I extend the interface a short distance beyond the grid to the end of the grid can displace relative to the soil. The soil to soil contact has the full soil strength.

The best way is to get the interface strengths for the model is to calibrate the performance against an actual pullout test. Adjust the interface strengths to give the pullout strength measured in the test.

Hope this helps a little or at least provides some insight,

Martin

hi martin,
thanks for the time you spent finding a solution to my problem !
i found a solution that satisfies my goals. i don't have test to refear on, so i have done with it !
best regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back