Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing

Status
Not open for further replies.

tabby1

Mechanical
Oct 25, 2002
Do you know a excellent engineering book which explain with a lot of applications and/or case studies the GD&T ? Tolerancing shaft and bores. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi there Tabby1

Further to EnglishMuffin's recommendation.

I have found that appropriate Mechanical Engineering standards have some good examples and descriptions of geometric tolerancing. Not so much design but what they mean etc.

The one I last looked at was AS 1100.101 Technical Drawing.
(Australian Standard). I'm sure there would be an equivalent BS or american standard.

djw

Personally, I would use a simple list to find out which Geometric Tolerance symbols mean what then look to the process capability and assembly requirements for the actual values and tolerances to use.
You don't want to end up using a tolerance for something just because you saw it in a case study.

Also, certain machine operators/QC people are used to seeing certain GT's. If you can find out the normal one's used to describe the components they make, you can save yourself some time explaining things later.

I'm no expert on GT's but that method has worked for me in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back