Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Geometric Tolerances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tug

Mechanical
Nov 29, 2002
US
Does anyone ever add a geometric tolerance to a dimension and find that it does not line up with the associated leader line of that dimension

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try to be more specific and I'll try to answer your question more specifically.
For now, all I can say is: No.
Are you talking about dimensions, or other notations?
[santa3] H[sub]o[/sub][sup]3[/sup]
tatej@usfilter.com

If you want to add a positional tolerance to a dimension sometimes it lines up perfectly with the dimension, ie it lines up with the arrows on a dimension, however sometimes the leader on the the positional tolerance lines up with the start or finish ot the witness lines. Hopefully this will explain it better.

Is this a known bug?.

Forgive me for having no specific expertise with tolerances - I only use them on a few parts.
But, are we talking about adding tolerances to a dimension: ie. 2.5 +/- 0.01 ?
Or are we talking about adding the box and leader that says this dimension should be perpandicular to datum "A" within 0.001?
I've played with both and can't re-create the problem you're having.
[santa3] H[sub]o[/sub][sup]3[/sup]
tatej@usfilter.com

This might sound like a dumb question but are sure the feature control frame is "attached" to the dimension that it applies to? Try dragging the dimension you want to apply a positional tolerance frame to to a new location on the drawing, if the feature control frame moves with it then it is "attached."

In general SolidWorks is hit or miss as far as proper display of geometric tolerances in my experience. You could very well just be introducing yourself to one of the limitations of SolidWorks drafting module. Would you have a problem sending me an example file so that I could have a look?

Chris Gervais
Mechanical Designer
American Superconductor

I use a lot of GDT and in fact, I had this problem on a few drawing. Sometimes, after selecting the dimension to add the "box" of GDT and after sliding it on the side, the arrow goes not in front of the arrow of the main dimension but one line bellow. It does not mean the same thing at all!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back