Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Geometrically nonlinear analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

peto24ap

Structural
Oct 7, 2014
SK
Hi everybody,

I am trying to write my own code for geometric nonlinear analysis of mixed cable, truss and beam structure. I am trying to follow Newton-Raphson procedure (non incremental) from Ansys theory manual, but I cant achieve convergence. Here is my flow:

==== Linear analysis ====

u(1) = inv Kt(0) * Fa

results are correct (compared with Ansys)

==== Nonlinear analysis ====

while sum(Fa-Fnr) > 1e-3

(1) calculating new transformation matrix T
(2) calculating new tangent stiffness matrix Kt(1) based on displacements u(1) and axial forces on elements from displacements u(1) and new transformation matrix T
(3) calculating internal nodal forces: Kt(1) * u(1) = Fnr
(4) calculating residulas: F = Fa - Fnr
(5) calculating new displacements: u(2) = inv Kt(1) * F

return to step (1)

end

Fa = applied load
Fnr = vector of nodal internal forces
F = vector of residual nodal forces

With this code I am not able to achieve any result even for a simple problem (3 dofs). Am I doing something wrong ? Does the presented loop descibe Newton-Rhapson procedure ? Can you help me improve my code ?

Thank you

Peter

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A quick guess.[ ] Change
(5) calculating new displacements: u(2) = inv Kt(1) * F
to
(5) calculating an estimate of the errors in the current displacements: Du = inv Kt(1) * F
(6) calculating the next estimate of the displacements: u(2) = u(1) +/- Du

Thanks for your guess,

I am updating coordinates within step (2) in stiffness matrix calculation. Kt is computed from the coordinates after the deformation from each step.

I think there is a problem in calculating internal forces vector. In this step I am using tangent stiffness matrix which is probably not correct. It should be probably only Ke (elastic stiffness). I have problems with this substep - calculating internal forces vector. Which matrices (Ke or Kt) and in which state (initial or after deformation) should I use ? And which transformation matrix ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back