Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Geometry Editing Tool - Extend : How to stop edges imprinting onto faces

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorcesterSorcerer

Mechanical
Feb 8, 2024
ES
When I extend an edge to a solid or surface, FEMAP automatically imprints a new line on the solid/surface (surface 1 in the below) . This is ok, until I extend an adjacent edge to another surface (surface 2 in the below) . The original remains, which can lead to sliver type elements when meshed. I can fix it by removing the line, but seems a bit of a faff, especially when there are a lot of edges to extend. Is there a way of switching off the imprint function

imprint_etq50d.png
?

I can use mid-surface intersect when the geometry is ready for imprinting edges etc.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello!,
Check the FEMAP version, modern versions like V2401 are really robust when dealing with geometry.
In any case, don't worry in excess: after extending all surfaces run command GEOMETRY > SOLID > CLEANUP and FEMAP will remove all etra points.
Alternatively, in the MESHING TOOLBOX > FEATURE REMOVAL > POINT allows you to select a point and remove from the model.
Best regards,
Blas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blas Molero Hidalgo
Ingeniero Industrial
Director

IBERISA
48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: Blog de FEMAP & NX Nastran:

These redundant points, and curves ... if they aren't meshed they aren't part of the FEM , so who cares ?

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

If you turn off "Update Surface" from Geometry > Curve - From Surface, then in the meshing toolbox when you extend a surface to the solid, it will not imprint the intersection onn the surface of the solid. Either way you will eventually need to do a nonmanifold add before meshing.

This is just an alternate method to try if interested.

update_surface_twvqig.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back