Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Geopak Drainage Friction Slope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick023

Civil/Environmental
Dec 4, 2008
US
Has anyone had any issues with Geopak Drainage calculating the friction slopes wrong? I have contacted Bently support and spoke with a couple of their engineers, sent them all my data, and they could not seem to figure it out. I even created a spreadsheet to calculate the friction slope "by hand" and prove that something was not being calculated correctly. They were unable to give me an answer and forwarded my concern to their programmers so if there is an issue they will work it out in the next release of Geopak Drainage.

This is very hard to believe that as long as this software has been avaiable, and the professinal nature of its use, that I am the first person to notice this.

On my output (created through Geopak Drainage after running a network) is showing a friction slope almost exactly equal to the slope of the pipe in almost all pipe runs. When the friction slope is calculated by hand, it is much smaller (less than 1 percent)

Any help or comments would be great.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Nik
Friction Slope is that slope (S) in Manning's formula required to convey a specified discharge under uniform flow conditions given a depth, roughness, and shape. Under uniform flow, depth and flow area are constant and the friction slope, the actual slope, and the energy slope are all equal.
Feel free to email me any specifics and I will look at it. my email is on the cooresponding Bentley forum you posted.

Mike B
Bentley Systems
Civil Professional Services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back