Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Georgetown Kentucky Wastewater Treatment Plant Structural Design Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

bimr

Civil/Environmental
Feb 25, 2003
US
Some “$5 to $6 million of concrete” has been poured at the site, but apparently there are concerns an engineering miscalculation may have resulted in the plant’s foundation thickness not strong enough to hold under certain conditions.

GRW Engineering of Lexington, the company that provided engineering specs for the plant, has retained another Lexington engineering firm to do an inspection, but city and GMWSS officials want a company with more experience on sewage plants and is more independent than the company retained by GRW. Officials have said the engineering firm hired by GRW indicates additional concrete can be poured on top of the existing slab, but GMWSS officials are skeptical and fear the existing concrete may need to be removed and the foundation restarted in order for the building to remain structurally sound.

Link

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This will be a financial disaster for someone. The stop work order at this stage is actually a good thing, as the farther into a job like this the harder it is to fix. Now the bill is only say 6 million.

If the foundation weakness was not found out until the plant was in service, a foundation failure would result in an inability to treat sewage for long enough that it would be huge trouble.

It appears the city has hired their own expert, whose loyalty will be to them (the check-writers). An excellent move.

spsalso

Always remember: "The required construction is neither complex nor unusual." Ronald O. Hamburger

I would expect a mistake like this from a company that doesn't normally do water containing structures, but from GRW's website this seems to be in their wheelhouse.
From someone who reviews these designs regularly, the walls should be at least the same thickness in inches as the number of feet of water they retain. And the foundation should be at least two inches thicker than the walls.
It might be a case of reducing the foundation thickness away from the walls too soon.
This is a regular nightmare for us in the biz.

I think the mayor in the interview instead of saying "environmental catastrophe" should have said "shit everywhere".

Would have delivered the message to the voter in a more concise manner for the stoppage of work.

What concrete do you use for these farms? C20 or C30 or is it some special mix.

Here's a table from ACI 350-06, "Code Requirements for Environmental Engineering Concrete Structures". I've generally used 4,500 psi as a minimum.

Screenshot_2021-10-29_093916_mbgb2j.png

What a great question!

Since the "questioning" happened after part of the structure was already up, I do wonder if "some guy" asked why the walls were so thin. And "another guy" thought that needed an answer.

spsalso

I'd have used w/c of 0.4 for all those conditions.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back