Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Geosynthetic Slope Stability Calculation Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryleeha07

Geotechnical
Sep 4, 2013
Hello,
I am trying to perform a slope stability calculation for a project using 'Designing with Geosynthetics - R.Koerner'. I have inserted the parameters into a spread sheet, and I am using the worked example in the book to verify my spreadsheet. The problem I have is that I am getting a value of 63.3kN/m for Wp using my spreadsheet, but the worked example shows 65.1kN/m. I have calculated using a calculator but still get 63.3kN/m. I must be doing some part of the calculation in the incorrect order - could somebody shed some light. See linksbelow for my spreadsheet and a pdf of the calculation and equation (Wp is the calc causing me issues). Thanks for any help

Link
Link

Ryan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think your problem is in your entering of the angles into your formulas. I assume that B4 and B10 are in degrees (16 degrees and 18.43 degrees). If I convert them to radians and revise your equations, I get Wp = 65.0. I did this very quickly so you should check this yourself. See the revised worksheet in the attached Excel file.

www.PeirceEngineering.com

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=7a9e89e1-fde4-4706-aaf6-feb8da714ee3&file=Eng-Tips_Tapered_Slope_Calcs.xlsx
See the attached Excel Sheet 1 (3). In previously-sent Sheet 1 (2), I did not change cells B4 and B10 to radians. I changed only the equations by entering ther radians into the equations. See Sheet 1 (3) for changes to B4, B10, and the equations (now referring to cells B4 and B10). I still get 65.0 but get much different answers for some of the other cells compared to your original spreadsheet.

www.PeirceEngineering.com

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=1050f1c6-2e2b-4507-91c2-59810b57113f&file=Eng-Tips_Tapered_Slope_Calcs.xlsx
Ryleeha07, Robert Koerner told me that you should contact him and he can help you if you still have a problem. He said, "Ryan has to tell me what edition of DWG he is using and what page or section he is working with....That said, I will respond accordingly"....Bob Koerner
Try him at GMA Tech Line [GMATechLine@ifai.com].

Thank you very much for your help and suggestions. I will contact Bob on the GMA tech line as I have a few other additional queries.
Best Regards
Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back