Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Geotech study for hydropower plant 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snippet

Electrical
Mar 12, 2010
BT
Hi everyone,I would appreciate if any one of you could give me some insight into it:

1. What should be the depth of bore-hole for drilling for geo-technical study of hydro-power plant??

2. What are the type of lab and in-situ test required to be conducted as a part of geo-technical study??

3. how is electrical resitivity related to seismic refraction study??

Please, do throw some light on it.

"Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Snippet
The depth and number of borings will depend on the foundation size and loading. Further, it depends on the local soil conditions, which most of us are not going to know.

The lab tests will depend on the types of soils encountered. They could include triaxial shear, direct shear, consolidation, classification indices, unconfined compressive strength....and many others.

I have no experience with seismic refraction.

Is this project an earth fill dam on a soil matrix overlying bedrock, or concrete structure founded on bedrock?

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering
Motto: KISS
Motivation: Don't ask

is this a real project?

I used to work on large scale dam projects. You need to provide better insight on what you're doing to further this discussion.

Are you building a dam (you only talk about the power plant)?

Is it an earth dam, RCC dam, concrete arch dam, ogee dam, gravity dam.

Both resistivity and refraction are geophysical tools, so their related.

More information needed to help.

f-d

¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

Yeah, we are doing geo-tech survey in Dam, Pressure shaft and Power House area. The total capacity of plant is 210 MW and Dam will be concrete gravity dam.

Thanks guys for the insight. Further help is most welcome. :)

You'll need depth to unweathered bedrock and the weathered rock and soil profile above.
You'll need strength data on the rock mass.
You may need stress-strain data for the rock mass.
You'll need packer-test data on the rock mass (this is done in the borehole.
You may need an aggregate study if you are using local aggregates to batch your concrete.
You may need low-strain shear modulus (seismic?) if there is a seismic component to the project.

Here's my thesis:
Just a few items that come to mind.

f-d

¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

You would be well served to hire a geotechnical engineer, geologist and structural engineer for the sole purpose of scoping the investigation. This is typically done with a reconaissance level study. This geotech should be experienced in dam design which will eliminate about 90% of the geotechs out there. Studies for dams, tunnels, cofferdam will be quite extensive and different from those needed for ordinary building sites.

You likely need a lot of drilling/coring and lots of field/lab tests of soil and rock. Geophysical surveys probably needed to look for irregularities and to fill in the blanks between the borings as well as evaluating seismic component. They're not the same survey though and have different limitations/advantages. I prefer using additional/other surveys to gather similar data.

Hire a geotech and let them do their job

fattdad, thanks! A star for you. :) Since I am an electrical engineer, I have not much clue about geo-technical studies. I am just trying to understand it broadly.I will go through your thesis, thanks for it!

CVG, indeed we are hiring geological expert for the studies. And we have civil engineers friends from our project involved in it. We were just discussing about it and thought it won't hurt to have some more clarification. Thanks for the insight!

msucog, yeah the studies looks very complicated and sophisticated. Thanks for the information!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back