Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Geotechnical Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.

stacyparks

Geotechnical
Jun 17, 2013
Hi there! I just graduated as a civil engineer 2 months ago and now I’m still in the process of looking for a job. I was told that getting a job in this field is tough. My friend said that most companies are looking for people who have experience in the field. But how about me? Does that mean I don’t have any chance of getting hired? So is experience a hindrance for me to be hired by a company especially in Sydney? What are the standards many companies nowadays? Is experience the only thing that they look into when hiring employees? Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Maybe that is a good reason for hiring, but I'd see what I could do to be better equipped. What did you do during summer beaks? Work as soil tech? Helper on a drill rig? Dig ditches? Even grubby work in the field helps some.

If you really want to get in there big, as a person partly up the ladder, I'd go back for a Masters and make sure that your thesis project deals directly with the field you want to go-into. Take two or more years, if necessary and make sure that all your spare time is on subjects that later will be useful. I think that field projects would be much more useful-than lab projects or just paper research. Even then you may still have a rough time if economy is poor. First jobs may be grubby with lots of out of town work, but it all is useful in the end.

With a civil degree, I think it is very unlikely that you can get in without out starting way at the bottom. That may even be drill rig helper to start. Hell, I did that part time while going for a Masters. It helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back