Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Get Flat Pattern of a rolled tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

someonedflr

Automotive
Jan 14, 2014
US
I need to get the flat pattern of a rolled tube. I have the modeled tube, it's very simple, but I couldn't get to recreate it using sheet metal since I can't find a "Contour Roll" alike command to recreate the rolled tube in the center part. So I was exploring some other options, like unwrap curve, or fabric flat pattern, but I have had no success yet. Also I'm trying to create it using Autodesk Inventor, I'm able to get the contour roll flat pattern, but when I try to create the additional flanges I get some errors, and as I'm not an experienced Inventor user, I had no success either with that option hehe...

Do you guys know how can I get the flat pattern of the attached rolled tube?

Thanks in advance!!

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=5b1bd474-5484-462d-843d-605bb7295eb9&file=RolledTube.prt
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A part like that will not 'unfold' without some deformation and therefore your only course of action to use the so-called 'mesh-based' unwrapping routines.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Thanks for the reply John!. quick question, the fabric flat pattern command in NX would be considered as one of those "mesh-based" unwrapping routines?, or you mean like using other kind of software?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back