Getting a master's after PE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacecarrot

Civil/Environmental
Dec 4, 2020
US
Hi All,
Is getting a master's degree worth it if I already have my PE license? At my current job, I do a lot of site design work, but don't really have anyone who can look at anything structural wise. I have an interest in structural though I am not sure if I want to pursue a full-time structural engineering position. The type of structural work I would be interested in would be low rise designs (I'm on the west coast). My company has tuition reimbursement and will pay for most of the degree and I would be pursuing this part-time, probably through an online degree. However, I am not sure if this will be something worthwhile just because it is something I "might" need in the future. Another thing is, I understand getting a degree does not mean I can practice it, I would still have to invest time into learning the applications. So I'm wondering if I should do it because it is almost free or would the time be better spent trying to learn this material somewhere else, assuming I will still stay at my job for a few more years?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

spacecarrot said:
I understand getting a degree does not mean I can practice it, I would still have to invest time into learning the applications.

Not to mention the codes, how to apply the analysis techniques, how to interpret the results, etc. etc. etc. Very little of this will be touched in a master's curriculum.

I would say that you wouldn't be able to practice it alone until you've practiced it under a PE specializing in structural, or in CA perhaps practicing under an SE.

I'd say go after something that will make you more valuable in your current specialty, or if you're in a mega-firm maybe start looking at business or engineering management degrees.

IIRC I got my Master's degree a little before PE. But regardless, you definitely shoudl do it it now. Especially if your company supports it. there is no better time thna now.

Now I'm older, have a child etc. I have no idea how I would do it. If not now, when then? No one can take it away from you.

Don't think about it as a guaranteed investment with some sort of payback. it is a safety device.

what if the economy goes south and you need to apply for a new job? Then you compete with 100 applicants, and wouldn't it be nice if your resume is in the top 5 that have a master's degree? and you will learn a lot that will develop you and your way of thinking. You will be introduced to new methods outside of what the " old schoolers" know.

Yes, it takes time and there will be hard time when you balance work load and school. but honestly, what other useful things do you do with your time? And with COVID, I assume much will be virtual anyway. That will make it easier for someone working a full time job with obligations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back