Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting Model Info from Patran Database .db

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrRogers1987

Aerospace
Feb 20, 2014
US
I received a random selection of analysis files from a recently departed colleague and I am trying to play forensic scientist to uncover what that status of the analysis was. Most of the analysis was done in Nastran which I have had no issues accessing in FEMAP. Some of the models were run in Patran which I am not as familiar with. For the models where I have a .bdf there's been issue as the file structure is nearly identical.

Several of the models there is only a .db database file however. Does this file contain the model information such as grid locations and elements/properties? Or is this just a result file? Can FEMAP import this file format?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The .db file is a Patran database file. Since it is binary, you won't be able to do anything with it except open it using the Patran software. It does contain geometry, nodes, elements, loads, material, properties, etc. I don't believe there is any way you can read the .db file into FEMAP since this file is proprietary to MSC Software.

You can try exporting the model as a Nastran inptu file (the bdf extension is used by Patran for Nastran input files). Depending on which load case(s) and analysis types you select, you will get different case control, but as long as the elements in the model have assigned properties, Patran will export the GRID points, elements, physical and material properties and (as a function of selected cases) loads and boundary conditions. Rendez-vous in the Analysis form, and select Action: Analyze, Object: Entire Model, Method: Analysis Deck - use the Solution Type and Subcases buttons in the same form to select the analysis type and load cases.

DG

If we could find a way to PM, I could try to extract the bdf rendition of the files from the databases if you let me have the .db files. However, I don't see a way to send a private message.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back