Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting part and assembly section views into drawings

Status
Not open for further replies.

MesaTactical

Mechanical
Nov 17, 2004
US
I have a requirement to produce vector line drawings of my SolidWorks assembly sections. What I need to do is produce a section view of the assembly in SolidWorks, then export that section view to a drawing (after which I save the drawing as a DWG file for further manipulations).

The problem is that whenever I am in the drawing and I try to import "Current Drawing View," it imports the unsectioned model. I can't seem to find a way to import the model in its section view.

I have been fooling around with making section views in the drawing itself, but this is really cumbersome with an isometric projection. It would be far easier to simply export the view from within the SolidWorks assembly.

Any ideas? Is there a setting I can flip somewhere?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can make a configuration and make an assembly cut within that assembly and position your assembly and import the current model view into your drawing.

Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
--Howard Aiken, IBM engineer

Scorch is correct. That is how we do it. SolidWorks will not let you insert a sectioned model view. Turn in a enhancement request.

Chris
Sr. Mechanical Designer, CAD
SolidWorks 05 SP3.1 / PDMWorks 05
ctopher's home site (updated 06-21-05)
FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

Before all is said and done...

Check this out: If you want to just save the section view as a .dwg file. Create a new sheet in your drawing file - go back to the sheet with the section view on it - grab the view from the feature tree - drag the view onto the new sheet (in the feature tree) - go to the new sheet and save as a .dwg file.

This will only save the current sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back