Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Getting solid models online

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvo1

Mechanical
Nov 28, 2005
US
I do my 3D Modeling in Inventor 10, and would like to get these solid models online. I want people to be able to download the solid model, and rotate it as needed. I'm relatively new to the process, but have been experimenting with .stl extensions, but that seems to leave the model completely unconstrained, even if I myself open it. Also, in one attempt at an assembly, I even ended up with all the parts merging into a single part, which was very odd.

The next step would be allowing the downloader to move the parts of the assembly that are allowed by the constraints, i.e., for a simple example, if there was a bearing around a shaft, the bearing could still rotate in their model.

Lastly, the mostly complicated goal (I dont know if it can be done) is to allow the downloader to download a single assembly, but by suppressing some features and unsuppressing others, have them be able to be able to look at multiple versions of the same product.

The primary goal is to get the solid models online and able to rotate. I'd appreciate any help I can get, or even a kick in the right direction. Thank you,

JasonE

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the quick response, but can you go into anymore detail? It would be most helpful. Thank you.

DWF is short for design web format. It was developed by Autodesk. In the part, assembly, or drawing envirnoment you can publish DWF. There is free viewer software available, along with a plug in for IE. Anyone with the viewer can view your model and get a good look at it, without being able to know whats really going on. How do you then upload them onto the internet? I have no idea. You can get a lot more info on DWF by pressing F1 in Inventor (help), or online at

Great, thanks for the info. What I couldnt find though, is whether or not someone can download or save to file the DWF after viewing it. That way they can plug the "dummy" model into their assembly. Is this possible with Viewer?

There are a number of different ways that you could host the .dwf file, you could allow a download if you would like, or prevent it also.

Regardless, there is no way to open the dwf in a solid modeler or other cad program and "steal" any design intent.

Obviously SW2006 hasn't seen the recent versions of the .dwf format....they have a lot to offer, and although I haven't seen an e-drawing since release 2004 the new .dwf is certainly better than that....but we don't need to get into a comparison discussion (that's been done other places many many times)

Another option is to turn your assembly into a derived part. This would treat the assy as 1 part, that could not be torn apart. You could then export the derived part into .sat or .iges format. These are neutral 3d model file formats, thereby allowing end users on different software platforms to bring in a 3d model that they wouldn't be able to gather any proprietary design information from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back