Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Girder bearing pad replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kid228

Mechanical
Aug 13, 2024
US
Hello all, I have a questions and hope a few of you could give me some advice. I have been asked by an engineering firm if I could help raise bridges to replace bearing pads. Does anyone know what you are able to charge on average per pad and what costs are involved in lifting it? I have simple been asked if I was interested, so I do not have specifics as far as size of bridge. Also, is there a way to get tested and certified?

Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you a contractor bidding on the work? On the design side with this type of work, the engineer provides a bearing design. On NYSDOT projects, the jacking system and shoring is designed by the contractor, in accordance with specification requirements.

The cost per bearing would be the cost to remove the existing & furnish & install the new. Structural lifting is generally straight forward. However, you have to look carefully and the specifications and design requirements. On NYSDOT projects bearings and structural lifting are paid on an each basis

The cost for a bearing depends on the type; same thing for the lifting.

What do you want to be tested and certified for?

Lifting (jacking) design can be straightforward for certain bridge types (straight alignments, generous pier caps, simple spans) but can quickly become complicated as the bridge becomes more complicated. The engineering company should be handling that side, but it can affect your work as the lifting subcontractor.

Essentially, your work as a lifting subcontractor would be entirely related to procuring and operating the hydraulic systems. I don't know if Enerpac or the other large manufacturers have any trainings or certification programs or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back