Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gland packing lubrication for Naphtha?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danlap

Mechanical
Sep 17, 2013
NL
Dear valve/maintenance experts,

I have some unit that never completely goes down for the last 30 years. Transferring Naphtha from vessel to other places.
Some of this old MOV/valves sometimes stuck and or slightly leaking through gland. For preventive maintenance every 1 year interval, there was suggestion to cycle the valve while applying lubrication over the spindle and gland.
The problem is conventional WD-40 or similar is dissolved by Naphtha.
Any suggestion whether it should be oil based / silicon based / graphite base lubricant?

PS: Yes, it is old. Yet, we would like to use this preventive method first prior concluding internal wear/damage of the valve subject to valve replacement.

Thank you in advance for the support,
Kind regards,
MR

All valves will last for years, except the ones that were poorly manufactured; are still wrongly operated and or were wrongly selected

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello Danlap,

Checking on the general description and chemical composition of naphta, a number of rather aggressive solvents can be present or occur as contamination in the fluid.

I have no practical experience in this field, but I think it would be difficult to find a lubricant not dissolved by any of the possible present components.

Naphta: 1. Any of several highly volatile, flammable liquid mixtures of hydrocarbons distilled from petroleum, coal tar, and natural gas and used as fuel, as solvents, and in making various chemicals. Also called benzine, ligroin, petroleum ether, white gasoline.
2. Obsolete Petroleum.

[Latin, from Greek, liquid bitumen, of Semitic origin; see npṭ in the Appendix of Semitic roots.]

The best possible solution would probably be the one you want to avoid: new upgraded valves without leakage.

Best luck!

Hi gerhardl,

Thanks for the input. Agree with you, it should be the last/least reserve by operation.
I personally also not fond for doing gland packing lubrication and particularly sealing injection frequently.
There is something wrong if ones do above activities more than once within short period, and justify the valve still fit for purpose for next xx years.

Kind regards,
MR

All valves will last for years, except the ones that were poorly manufactured; are still wrongly operated and or were wrongly selected

Take a look at the 'Krytox' fluorinated lubricants. I'm familiar with these materials from when I worked on vacuum pumps and associated equipment where their very low outgassing is a key property, but they are also fairly hydrocarbon-tolerant. It may be suitable (or may not).

Hi ScottyUK, thanks for the input for sure will give it a try.
Dear saplanti, thanks but for some reason your link is not reachable. Maybe you'd copy pasted it from internal IP address

Thanks again all for the feedback,

Kind regards,
MR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back