Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Gland tightening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daren Samy

Mechanical
Oct 6, 2022
PK
What can be torquing scheme/values for gland tightening to restrict water leakage from gland packing of valve?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Contact the manufacturer. That is the only way to ensure you get the right information for the packing material and construction of the valve.

Concern is that in working valve drop leakage is observed from gland packing. How can I Assess how much torque I have to give to bolts to stop leakage. Bolts were already torqued 3 months ago on design value.

Daren

Code:

You need to do this by feel. Find a happy median where resistance to move the stem is acceptable and leakage is acceptable.

If you're having to make frequent adjustments the glans is damaged, the stem is damaged, you have the wrong packing for the application, your duty is very high.

Also consider the safety of adjusting packing in service. Packing can fail during adjustment and that puts the operator in harm's way.

Hmmm ! My way of working is to measure the flange gap on both sides and keep tightening untill leakage is fixed. Uneven tightening can drive gland follower unevenly causing gland leakage. Using Torque wrench would not be safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back