Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Glass distillation unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashishmali28

Chemical
Dec 8, 2012
IN
According which code ,pure glass distillation column is designed (No glasslined reactor)?what's is its maximum pressure (opearting)?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

These vent to atmosphere so there is no positive pressure. That is a key point of the design.
Actually there is a small trap to prevent air from entering so the pressure may be 0.5" H2O.
There are guides for these in some of the Hygenic Codes (BPE or EHEDG) but I don't think that they are actually rules.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

To my knowledge there isn't a design code for a pressure vessel made entirely of glass. I assume you are asking about a large-scale vessel rather than a lab-scale vessel. I have experience with large glass-lined pressure vessels, but I have never heard of one made entirely of glass - that doesn't sound safe or economical.

Glass-lined pressure vessels are made by a number of manufacturers. The outer metallic shell provides safety and physical strength. ASME Sec VIII Appendix 27 has requirements for this design.

We had a relatively large (20 ft) glass column in my university as a "pilot" lab for educational purposes. I've seen other instances of pilot scale glass columns.

As a pressure vessel though and to specific pressure vessel codes? I don't think that's feasible since glass can't be assigned a pressure rating as far as I know.

Andrew H.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back