Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Glass Guard Rail/Hand Rail design

Status
Not open for further replies.

blmce

Civil/Environmental
Jan 17, 2003
US
I need help with a few items regarding glass guard rail/hand rail design. Here are the items:
1. Determine the glass thickness for cantilevered glass to be used as a guard rail with a hand rail attached. The glass is to be laminated but I need design data to determine what thickness of laminated glass to use. I know what the design loads are from ASCE 7-02 Chap. 4.4.
2. Determine the design values in shear and tension of the bolts used to attach the glass guard rail to the support steel. The client wants the washers to be countersunk into one ply of the laminate. Is this possible? The guard rail is not continuously supported at the bottom, but will be point supported by bolts spaced a certain distance -- to be determined -- on center. I know the allowable values for Grade 2 or 5 steel bolts. I just need to know the allowable bearing values of the glass when the bolts are in tension or shear so I can determine what controls the connection.
Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back