Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GLASS REINFORCED PLASTIC TANK for oil/water storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

SILVERSTONE

Petroleum
Sep 29, 2005
FR
One of our customer company bought a glass reinforced plastic tank and want to use it as a oil/water storage capacity. BSW is about 95% (95 %vol in water and 5 %vol in oil). Do you know if this kind of material is convenient for a such application ?
Moreover, i heard that this material can lead to serious static ignition hazard. Is there a way to prevent it ?

Best regards,

Silverstone

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I know of a incident of an explosion that happened at a nearby plant, the oil company had a fiberglass tank, that was storing produced salt water with some gas vapors. The tank truck driver had just disconnected from the tank when the tank exploded and flew through the air several hundred feet and landed on top of a gas compressor building, crashing through the roof and causing damage to the building and the compressor equipment inside. My understanding it was determined that static electricity was the cause of the explosion and the tank was poorly grounded due to the type of material of the tank. The oil company replaced the tank with a steel tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back